Photography Education: How Do I Better Do What I Do The Way You Do?!

Haven't you ever wanted to get so great at photography that you get to shoot inside an old camera? Thanks to my buddy Josh for jumping inside this one for this image!

I get asked all the time "How do I take better pictures" or "How do I take pictures like you JScott?" or "How do I better do what I do the way you do?".

Okay, so I made that last one up.

But in all fairness, I think that essentially that's what I'm being asked by photographers of all levels.

Before I get started let me make one thing perfectly clear: If you're not a full-time--or even part-time--photographer right now or you're not even charging people for your photography (and even if you are I guess), I'VE BEEN IN YOUR SHOES. 

I'VE BEEN that person with a fancy piece of machinery in front of me called a camera and had no idea how to make it work.

I'VE BEEN that person watching other photographers' work (even as far back as the days before Facebook) and wondered why my images looked nowhere as good as the images I was looking at.

I'VE BEEN that person with my images on my computer in front of me and Photoshop launched and wondered "Ok, now what the hell do I do?!"

I've been there. 

So with that said let me get back to my point. More and more people keep asking me how they can take better pictures and make their images look like mine.You want the answer?

You can't and you won't and you shouldn't. 

Honestly, that's probably the nicest and best answer you could hear or want to hear.

HERE'S WHY: Everyone, on every level, has their own version of photography, of editing, of style and their own vision for each and every image they create.

It's not that I want to discourage you, if anything I want to ENCOURAGE you and help you be the best photographer that YOU can be, not simply a clone of me.

I can never teach you or show you everything that I know because each day I try to learn something new. Whether it's a new pose, a new lighting technique, a new editing technique. Whatever the case may be, it's all part of the cornucopia of influences that has shaped me as a photographer and helped create JScott Images.

In addition, my career in photography started back in 1998 and began with an old 35mm film camera and a darkroom (I've linked the last two items for any of you born after 1990 just so we're on the same page! Haha!) so if you're just starting, realize that my work is a culmination of 15 years of experience, trial-and-error and experimentation (not to mention two years of intensive study at Hawkeye College in the Professional Photography Program, which I HIGHLY encourage you all to check into if you have a serious love for photography or electronic imaging (Photoshop)).


My friend Sarah is another one that LOVES photography and is currently a student at Hawkeye College trying to soak in as much as she can! You can do the same!

WITH ALL THAT SAID, I am looking for YOUR feedback!

I want you to go back to my Facebook page, find my post about this blog and leave your responses to the following questions:

1. How long have you been taking photos (seriously taking them, more than just snapshots on your iPhone)?


2. Where do you feel you are with your photography?


3. What struggles do you have when it comes to creating a good image? 


4. What topics would you like me to cover in my blog? (I'm considering writing a blog each week to cover a certain topic that one of my fans submits to me!)


Thank you as always for reading my blog and for inspiring me to better connect with my audience and all of the aspiring photographers out there!


JScott





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In 15 Years of Sports Photography: A First!

~{ Greeting from Bride's Corner, Waterloo, IA }~

JScott Images Earns 1st Place in Iowa Marketing Awards