Waterloo Photographer Speaks to Northern Iowa College Photojournalism Students


If there's one thing out there that I love to do as much as if not more than photography it's speaking to others about photography. I love to try to inspire others to really invest their time and energy into photography and perhaps a lifelong career in a photography related field.

So when I was contacted recently about speaking to University of Northern Iowa photojournalism students I jumped at the opportunity.

I didn't have much time to really think about it as I was asked about an hour before the class met. Short notice or not, this was too awesome to pass up.

During the class I presented some examples of my work and discussed how I got to where I'm at now. I stressed that my talents didn't come overnight nor is photography as glamorous as it appears in movies or on TV; there is a lot of work involved, especially before and after a shoot/event.

While this was a photojournalism class I also shared with them some of my portrait work and other work from other genres.

The class seemed to really get involved when they were asked to present some of the images that they had been working on for class. The assignment some of them chose to share was on "A Day in the Life" of a classmate.

I was actually really impressed by the work that they were showing me as I found out later that this class wasn't made up of aspiring photographers but was rather students taking it as an elective...aka there were many in there that were just taking the class to graduate. I can respect that actually as photography was just that to me when I was in high school and first starting to get into it.

All-in-all it was just exciting to get to discuss photography with the class and answer some questions they had.

If you would like me to come speak to your college or high school class or have a group that would be interested in having me come speak about photography please email me at jscottimages@gmail.com.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In 15 Years of Sports Photography: A First!

~{ Greeting from Bride's Corner, Waterloo, IA }~

JScott Images Earns 1st Place in Iowa Marketing Awards