Judging My Judging

Fresh out of high school I really wanted a job at the local newspaper. I didn't care what I had to do to get it; empty garbages, vaccuum, scrub the toilet. Whatever I had to do to get onto the staff as either a writer or photographer or both I was willing to do.

After weeks of bothering and annoying the editor (believe me, almost every week on the same day at the same time) I was in office trying to lobby him for a job.

Eventually he gave in.

"Alright, you want a job?" he asked. "Boy do I have a job for you."

I spent the next 5 days in a sauna of a barn at the Delaware County Fair taking down the names of all of the winners of the animal shows  and taking a snapshot of them in all their animal showing glory.

I was getting to kick start my dream of becoming a professional photographer.

What does this have to do with judging?


Well, last night I was selected to be the official judge at the annual Buchanan County Amateur Photography Contestput on with help from the Foto Friends photography club of Independence. There I was, 12 years after my first "fair photo gig" having the unique opportunity (which is greatly appreciated) to share my love of photography and everything about it with fellow photographers, many of which are about the age in which I started falling in love with photography.
While I wasn't having to photograph 4H kids with their ribbons and winning animals I was once again in a sauna of a barn at a county fair, only this time it was to judge images for entrants than ranged from about 7-8 years old up to their mid-40s and 50s.

It was a blast!





There were three classes of photos to judge including:

  • Taken by Children ages 3 to 12 years old
  • Taken by Teens, ages 13 to 19 years old
  • And, 10 Categories, any age:
    • Action
    • Animals
    • Artistically Enhanced
    • Buildings & Architecture
    • Children & Youth
    • Farm Scenes
    • Flowers & Plants
    • Open
    • People
    • Scenic
What made this contest so great is that is was only open to amateurs or people whose "photos represent a recreational hobby and is not means of livelihood" meaning I got the full range of talent and expertise. This was not only a way to give constructive criticism but I also felt like it was my obligation to inspire those that entered photos to continue with their passion of photography through constructive criticism that helped them understand where they are as a photographer--regardless of age--and how far they could go!

My job was to pick first and second place. I was given no criteria for the entries other than which one met the category best. No pressure, right? :)

All-in-all, there were some amazing images presented (and I'm not trying to blow smoke here). I have sat through many group critiques with fellow photographers that are pursuing a career in this industry and can honestly say that there were some images entered that could have demanded some time along with the other works that I've seen.

I was very impressed as well with the feedback that I got from the photographers that sat through the 90+ degree night in a barn with very little airflow. Many expressed to me that they received just the feedback that they had been looking for.

Many others also approached me about beginning a career in photography. My first recommendation? Taking the Professional Photography Program at Hawkeye College in Waterloo! Now I realize that I'm a little biased as a recent grad (and no I'm not getting paid to refer students to them) but I just think that a solid foundation is the BEST way to start a career in photography. Sure, learning as you go from books and YouTube videos can work too but where else can you "live" photography day in and day out, surrounded by others that have the same passion you do?





I'm still waiting. 

Truth is, you probably won't find it anywhere else.

So with that, I'll digress. I'm officially off my HCC soapbox for this blog entry. 

Here are a few more shots from the winner's board. This should be on display most if not all of the week at the fair. Come check it out and support the future professional photographers of Iowa and America!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In 15 Years of Sports Photography: A First!

~{ Greeting from Bride's Corner, Waterloo, IA }~

JScott Images Earns 1st Place in Iowa Marketing Awards