In 15 Years of Sports Photography: A First!

With 15 years of experience shooting sports of all sorts I thought I had experienced just about everything possible.

Then Saturday happened.

Both sides of the gym were packed with fans ready to erupt, like shown above, in support for its respective team!

I was court-side with my camera for the highly anticipated matchup between MFL MarMac and Cascade in boys playoff basketball. There was an estimated 2,000+ people in attendance to take in the big game in the gorgeous gym at West Delaware High School in Manchester.

I was shooting for Sports Spotlight, a Des Moines based publication that spotlights high school and collegiate athletics across the state.

It was a pretty big game as the winner would punch its ticket to the state basketball tournament in Des Moines and the loser would see its season end. (Congrats to the MFL MarMac boys for winning the game...photos HERE!)


A photo from the MFL MarMac game against Beckman a few days earlier.

I hadn't photographed Cascade leading up to Saturday night but just a few days prior I photographed MFL MarMac during its game against Dyersville Beckman in Oelwein. I only had a few brief interactions with a handful of MFL MarMac fans at the game and it would be fair to say that for the most part, this was their first time ever seeing me at a game of theirs (being that most of their games were played more than an hour from where I'm based at).

Of course I posted several of the images from the game and many of their fans ended up seeing them and probably got a good view at my work, my logo and my brand. So, heading into Saturday's game I felt like some of them would at least recognize my logo on the shirt that I wear to games if not remember what I looked like from the Beckman game.

Ok, so, now you have the context to better appreciate the story.


Members of the MFL MarMac student section begin to stretch prior to their big game against the Cascade Cougars (and before pulling off one of the coolest things ever in my humble opinion!)

When I arrive to the game I check in and begin to get my gear ready. The buzz in the gym is building and you can tell it's going to be a good night of basketball. Both fanbases are energized and ready for an awesome basketball game.

Out of nowhere I hear some of the MFL MarMac students begin saying my business name so I walk over and say hello. Earlier in the week I had tweeted that they were the best crowd that I had seen all season long so I wasn't surprised when one of the students then promised me that they were going to be even better than they were the first night I saw them.

They didn't disappoint and it left me speechless. More on that in a little bit.


The game was back and forth with each team feeling itself out. Both teams were trying to make a point and dictate the tempo of the game. Then a moment came that I won't forget. 

I don't remember the specific play on the court but a foul resulted in free throws. I typically don't shoot many shots of players shooting free throws but thought I'm in a good spot, there's good lighting, eh, what the heck and brought the camera up to my face.

As the player began to settle into his free throw routine I begin to hear a chant from the MFL MarMac crowd.

I couldn't make it out at first and figured it was just a chant that I hadn't heard them do the other night against Beckman.

Then it clicked.

"JScott Images"
"JScott Images"
"JScott Images"

No way.

Were they seriously chanting my business name?

'There's no way! Is there?!' I thought to myself.

Then a few of the other photographers turned and looked at me. Then some of the fans began looking at me...

"JScott Images"
"JScott Images"
"JScott Images"

HO-LEE-FUNNY BATMAN! 

Don't get me wrong, when I was in high school I was one of the louder kids in the student sections. I lived for big games like the one I was at and would have been the loudest fans there so I can appreciate creative chants...related to the game that is! Haha.

I can't remember us (my student section) ever chanting out photographer names or the names of other businesses there (although I will say that it's pretty much standard for most crowds to demand attention from any TV camera/reporter that shows up!)

But to be on the other side, the receiving side, of a chant specifically aimed and about you, it's one of the craziest experiences you can feel, especially being in a position where you are known more by your photos and not for standing out in a gym packed with 2,000+ people....

I must have turned 384 shades of red

I didn't know whether to smile, laugh, hide behind my camera or act like I had no idea what they were chanting.

It COMPLETELY caught me off guard and was the coolest and weirdest thing I had ever had happen to me in my years of photographing high school sports.

And it was the first time that I had ever had anyone, let alone a group of fans that I had never met or known before, begin to chant anything about me, let alone my business name.

#bestcrowd2013

So, to the MFL MarMac student section, I tip my hat to you. You provided me a memory that I'll never forget and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing! =P

All I can is that my wife laughed all night about it when I told her and she only wished that someone would have videotaped it as proof!

Good luck down at the state tournament!

Comments

  1. We have an amazing student body. There is so much negativity that I, and I would guess to say all other teachers, appreciate the positive press of young adults. Thank you for your unbelievable capture of the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree, your student section completely blew me away. There are many crowds that show up to be seen and not heard--this is not the case for MFL MarMac (and that's with me only witnessing them twice).

    I've photographed numerous games at schools of all sizes and am yet to come across a crowd that packs as much punch as yours does.

    Many of the crowds that I've witnessed start out loud at the start and then fizzle out when their team needs them the most. Then there are the student sections that show up for "the scene" and end up spending most of their night on Twitter (don't even get me started on that!).

    In the end, MFL MarMac's student section really impressed me this week. In two games they reminded me of why high school sports are still my favorite to photograph (I shoot collegiate athletics as well and there's no comparison even with the difference in size of crowds).

    Keep up the great work MFL MarMac students and good luck to the team down in Des Moines!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

~{ Greeting from Bride's Corner, Waterloo, IA }~

My MAIPP Experience